inhoudsoverzicht korte biografieen]
[terug naar inhoud
Schubert memorial places
Lower Austria. Market town. First documentary mention in 1116.
Though Schubert never visited Aschbach, the choral society of Aschbach
raised a monument for him: At Schubert place beneath the church, there
is a bronze medal with a portrait of Schubert set in stone.
Late Gothic parish church with rococo organ (1753)
Upper Austria. Market town on the west bank of the Traunsee. In summer
1825, Schubert paid two visits to the former owner of Ebenzweier castle,
Florian Maximilian Clodi. Commemorative tablet at the entrance of the castle,
donated by the municipality of Altmünster.
Late Gothic hall church (1470-1480)
Tomb of Adam Graf Herberstorff (1585-1629, politician and general)
Calvary church (1844-1846)
Ebenzweier castle (17th century, renovated in 1842)
Lower Austria. First documentary mention in the second half of the 12th
The estate manager of Atzenbrugg castle was an uncle of Franz von Schober,
a friend of Schubert. Between 1820 and 1822, this uncle invited Schober,
Schubert and their circle of friends several times for three-day stays.
Leopold Kuppelwieser (1796-1862) painted here the picture „Gesellschaftsspiel
der Schubertianer in Atzenbrugg" and an en-face-portrait (dated July 21st)
which is considered to be the best Schubert portrait.
Atzenbrugg castle, in the 14th century formed out of an estate, two-winged
construction of the 16th/17th century, today Schubert museum (finished
In the palace garden: Baroque pavilion („Schubert-Häuschen")
A - 3452 Atzenbrugg
Phone: 43-2275-5234 (Gemeindeamt)
Lower Austria. First documentary mention in 869.
Because of the thermal springs and the summer stays (1811-1834) of
Franz I, Baden has developed into the Biedermeier period bathing resort,
visited by numerous artists (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven,
Franz Schubert, Johann Strauss Father, Franz Grillparzer, Ferdinand Raimund).
During a sojourn in Baden in 1828, Schubert composed his only organ
fugue. A commemorative tablet of 1926 at the former tavern „Schwarzer Adler"
(Rathausgasse 11) reminds of that event.
Municipal parish church St. Stephan (1477)
Former Augustinian hermit cloister (13th century)
Beethoven house (Beethoven days)
In the environs: ruins of Rauhenstein and Rauheneck (12th century)
Salzburg. Commune. Health and winter resort in the valley of the Gasteiner
Ache, at the foot of the Graukogel (2492 m)
Schubert sojourned in Badgastein in August 1825. He composed here the
lieder „Die Allmacht" and „Das Heimweh". A commemorative tablet at the
former „Straubingerhütte" (today hotel Straubinger) reminds of that
Waterfall of the Gasteiner Ache in the center of the town
Ropeway to the Stubnerkogel (2246 m)
Parish church (1866-1876)
Gothic Nikolauskirche (1389) with late Gothic frescos
House Meran (villa of Archduke Johann, 1830)
Museum of Gastein
Styria. Town, southwest of Graz. From October 10th to October 12th 1827,
Schubert visited Wildbach castle near Deutschlandsberg. Probably he composed
there the lieder „Winterabend", „Das Weinen" and „Die Sterne". A commemorative
tablet is at the main entrance of the castle, which is in private ownership
and closed to the public.
Parish church (1688/1701)
Classicist town hall
Landsberg castle (first documentary mention in 1153), today museum of earliest
and ancient history
Styria. City. Founded in 1170 as frontier protection town against the east.
Important mediaeval trading town.
On his way home from Graz Schubert stopped in Fürstenfeld from
September 20th to September 21st 1827. The then mayor Mrs. Fritzi Wittmann
lodged him. Commemorative tablet at the facade of the former town hall,
Bismarckstraße 6 (today music school), donated by the municipality
of Fürstenfeld, the male-voice choral society of Fürstenfeld
and the choral society „Eintracht.
Fortification (renovated in 1533; town moat, wall and gate are partially
Baroque parish church (1772-1774)
Former Augustinian hermit church (1365-1368)
Upper Austria. City, health resort on the north bank of the Traunsee. Wharf.
Till the 19th century, important trading place and „salt metropolis" of
the Upper Austrian Salzkammergut.
From June 4th to July 15th 1825, Schubert lived in the house of the
merchant Ferdinand Traweger (Theatergasse 8/Badgasse 2, at that time „am
unteren Platz 11"). Traweger was a brother-in-law of Schubert's friend
Joseph von Spaun. A commemorative tablet reminds of that sojourn, but it
mentioned by mistake that Schubert stayed also in Gmunden in 1826 and 1827.
In 1926 a Schubert monument was raised in the park at Franz-Josephs-Platz
and transferred to Schubertplatz in 1993.
Parish church (Gothic basilica from the first half of the 14th century,
from 1713 to 1718 made baroque)
Capuchin cloister (built 1636-1639)
Protestant church (1871-1872, neo-Gothic furniture)
Town hall (16th-18th century)
Museum in the former Kammerhofgebäude (Brahms room, cribs and folk
culture, archives and Hebbel estate)
Lake castle Ort (documented in 1138, Gothic in the core, after 1634 reconstruction
with chapel, 17th century;
linked by a bridge with the land castle Ort)
Folklore: Epiphany trip on the lake, lake festival in July
Styria. Capital city of the Province Styria.
From September 3rd to September 20th 1827, Franz Schubert was the pianist's,
Marie Pachler-Koschak, and her husband's, Dr. Karl Pachler, guest at Herrengasse
28. A commemorative tablet is on the Hallerschlößchen (on the
Ruckerlberg or Rosenberg). The then owner, lawyer Dr. Franz Haring, was
a friend of the Pachler family.
Cathedral (first documentary mention in 1174)
Mausoleum of Emperor Ferdinand II (important edifice of the mannerism)
Leechkirche (built on the tombs of the urn field culture of the 9th/8th
Municipal parish church with Baroque facade and Baroque gable tower (commencement
of around 1440)
Herz-Jesu-Kirche (1881-1891, most monumental neo-Gothic edifice of Styria)
Calvary and church (way of the Cross 1654, church 1668-1723)
Landhaus (1494, knight's hall of 1630; most important Renaissance building
Landeszeughaus (1642-1644, today most important historic arsenal of the
world with approx. 29000 weapons and armors)
Castle (built in 1428-1453 under Emperor Friedrich III)
Old university (1609)
Schloßberg with clock tower
Styria. City in the east-Styrian hill country. Founded in 1125-1128 by
the Styrian margrave Leopold I.
On his way home from Graz, Schubert spent the night in Hartberg on
September 21st 1827. A commemorative tablet at the facade of the house
Herrengasse /Michaeligasse 7 reminds of that event.
Late Gothic municipal parish church (first documentary mention in
Late Romanesque charnel-house (before 1167) with frescos (around 1200)
Relics of the mediaeval town wall with tower (13th to 14th century)
Hartberg castle (16th/17th century, mediaeval north wing)
Lower Austria. Market town in the southern Wienerwald.
Two commemorative tablets (of 1928 and 1995) on the „Höldrichsmühle"
(hotel and restaurant, Gaadnerstraße 34) remind of Schubert. There
is no evidence in history that Schubert visited this town, but it is handed
down, that he is supposed to have composed the lied „Am Brunnen vor dem
Tore" under the „Schubert lime" in Hinterbrühl.
Lake grotto Hinterbrühl ( a former gypsum mine, the largest
subterranean lake of Europe with approx. 6200 sq.m., navigable with motorboats)
Classicist parish church (1831)
Hussar's temple (1813)
Wildlife park „Sparbach" with Johannstein ruin and mill
Upper Austria. Market town on the Krems river.
Schubert visited the Convent of Kremsmünster in 1819 and several
times in 1825 (in May, August and September)
Convent of Kremsmünster: Foundation in 777. One of the most important
convents of Austrian cultural history. Baroque monastery with six inner
courts built by Jakob Prandtauer (1660-1726) and Carlo Antonio Carlone
(deceased in 1708).
"Tassilokelch", 8th century
"Scheibenkreuz", 12th century
Collection of old musical instruments
The "Mathematische Turm" (observatory)
Upper Austria. Capital city of Upper Austria. On the Danube and at the
foot of the Pöstlingberg (539 m).
Schubert visited Linz in 1819, 1823 and 1825. In 1819 he lived probably
with the family of his friend Joseph von Spaun. In 1825 he stayed with
Spaun's brother-in-law at Landstraße 15. A commemorative tablet at
the second floor of this house (in private ownership, closed) reminds of
St. Martin church with construction elements of the 8th to the 15th
Baroque original town
Old cathedral (1669-1678) with stalls (1633) and organ (1789) by Franz
Xaver Krismann from Engelszell
Capuchin church (1602-1612; extended in 1660-1662)
Carmelite church (1674 and 1690-1726)
Municipal parish church (mentioned in 1286; rebuilt in 1649-1656, extended
in 1687-1694) with tomb of Emperor Friedrich III (heart and entrails are
buried here); on the outer wall of the choir statue of Johann Nepomuk (1727)
by the sculptor Georg Raphael Donner (1693-1741)
New cathedral (1862-1924)
Landhaus (1564-1571) with „Steinerne Saal" (stone hall), north portal (around
1570), arcade (1568-1574) with Planetenbrunnen (planet's fountain) (1582),
from 1574 to 1627 seat of the landscape school, where Johannes Kepler taught
Castle (first documentary mention in 1286, reconstruction 1604-1614) with
Friedrichstor, heraldic stone (1481) and wall. Today regional museum
Upper Austria. Town, confluence of Enns and Steyr.
Schubert visited Steyr several times (in 1819, 1823 and 1825). Among
his circle of friends in Steyr were among others Sylvester Paumgartner
and the lawyer Dr. Schellmann. He lived with their families by turns.
A commemorative tablet is on the house Paumgartner, Stadtplatz 16.
Relics of the old city forticications: watchtower, Schnallentor (1613),
water tower (1572)
Baroque castle of Lamberg
Castle chapel and clock tower (1731)
Gothic municipal parish church (1443-1522, 1630-1636)
Rococo town hall (1765-1778)
Renaissance castles of Engelhof and Engelsegg
Upper Austria. City, confluence of Traun and Danube. In 1825 Schubert was
the Countess Sophie Gabriele Weissenwolff's guest at the new castle, built
in 1778 (heavily damaged in World War II, the ruins were pulled down in
1967). A commemorative tablet on tue outer wall of the palace garden reminds
of that visit.
Gothic parish church made baroque with frescos (14th/15th century)
Old castle (first documentary mention in 1150, core 16th century, extended
in the 17th century)
New castle (1778)
Wien 1., Dr.-Ignaz-Seipel-Platz 1
A commemorative tablet (donated by the Wiener Männergesangs-Verein
- Viennese male-voice choral society) reminds that Franz Schubert went
to the „Kaiserliche und königliche Stadtkonvikt", a boarding-school
for pupils at a secondary school and college students, as pensioner and
court choirboy from 1808 to 1813.
Wien 1., Opernring, Staatsoper
In the loggia there are frescos by the painter Moritz von Schwind who
belong to Schubert's circle of friends. On view on the occasion of guided
tours and during the intervals of the performances.
Wien 1., Renngasse 1
On March 1st 1818, one of the two overtures in Italian style of Schubert
was performed at the hotel „Zum Römischen Kaiser" - with this piece
Schubert made his first public appearance as composer. In 1929, the Wiener
Schubertbund donated a commemorative tablet, which reminds of that event.
Wien 1., Spiegelgasse 9
In 1822/23 Schubert lived with his friend Franz von Schober in this
house. He composed here among others the B minor symphony („the Unfinished").
The Wiener Schubertbund donated a commemorative tablet in 1928.
Wien 1., Stadtpark
Schubert monument by the sculptor Carl Kundmann (1838-1919). The three
relief on the pedestal (designed by Theophil Hansen, 1813-1891) symbolize
the musical fantasy, the instrumental music and the vocal music. The monument
was donated by the Wiener Männergesangs-Verein and unveiled on May
15th 1872 (cornerstone ceremony on October 12th 1868).
Wien 1., Wipplingerstraße 2
From 1818 to 1821, Schubert lieved here with the poet Johann Mayrhofer
(1787-1836). He composed here among others the „trout quintet" (D 667),
the lied „Prometheus" (D 674) and the string quartet setting in C minor
(D 703). Commemorative tablet.
Wien 3., Erdbergstraße 17
In 1816, Scubert occupied a room in professor Heinrich Wattenroth's
apartment. On July 24th 1816, his cantata „Prometheus" was performed at
the garden of the house. The Schubertbund donated a commemorative tablet,
which was destroyed during the war.
Wien 4., Kettenbrückengasse 6
On November 19th 1828, Franz Schubert deceased in the apartment of
his brother Ferdinand, where he was subtenant since September 1828. The
room where Schubert died was altered into a commemoration room. Commemorative
tablet of 1869.
A - 1040 Wien
Wien 4., Technikerstraße 9
Schubert lived in this house from 1825 to 1826. He composed here among
others the singings from Goethe's „Wilhelm Meister" and the string quartet
in D minor. In 1921, the Wiener Männergesangs-Verein donated the commemorative
Wien 5., Schönbrunner Straße next to No. 50
On November 21st 1828, Schubert's body was consecrated at the parish
church „Zum heiligen Josef". Robert Ullmann designed the commemorative
tablet, donated by the Wiener Schubertbund in 1928.
Wien 8., Alser Straße 17
In 1828, he composed the hymn „Glaube, Hoffnung, Liebe" (D 954) for
the church „Zur Allerheiligsten Dreifaltigkeit" on the occasion of the
bell baptism. Commemorative tablet of 1928 with a bronze relief by Richard
Wien 9., Alserbachstraße next to No. 14
The Schubert fountain by the sculptor Theodor Stundl and the architect
F. Matuschek was built in 1928 on the initiative of the Wiener Schubertbund
and the district Alsergrund.
Wien 9., Grünentorgasse 11
The old schoolhouse, where Schubert's father moved in in 1818, was
at this place till 1913. Schubert lived here occasionally till 1825. The
Rossauer Männergesangsverein donated the commemorative tablet fixed
to the new building in 1921.
Wien 9., Lustkandlgasse 11a, „Schubert-Hof"
Marble tablet with a Schubert relief, donated by the Wiener Schubertbund
Wien 9., Marktgasse 35
The Schubert bust created by Gustinus Ambrosi on the occasion of the
centennial of the Wiener Schubertbund was raised in front of the school
Wien 9., Marktgasse 40, Lichtentaler Pfarrkirche „Zu den vierzehn
Schubert was baptized at this church in 1797; with ten years he worked
as organist here. In 1814 Schubert composed the F major Mass and in 1815
the G major Mass for the parish church, where they were also performed
for the first time. A commemorative tablet with marble relief by Robert
Ullmann was fixed in 1928 (donated by the Wiener Schubertbund and the church
music society of the parish church of Lichtental).
Wien 9., Nußdorfer Straße 54
Franz Schubert was born in this house on January 31st 1797. Today the
house (18th century) is a Schubert museum (inaugurated on June 18th 1912).
In the sixties, the building was renovated fundamentally: A return to the
architectural conditions of Schubert's time was tried (inauguration in
May 1969). On the right side of the court there is the „trout fountain"
by the sculptor Josef Müllner (1910).
Nußdorfer Straße 54
A - 1090 Wien
Wien 9., Säulengasse 3, „Zum schwarzen Rössl"
The former schoolhouse of the parish Lichtental, which Schubert's father
had acquired in 1801, was in the suburb Himmelpfortgrund No. 10, today
Säulengasse 3. Franz Schubert lived in this house from 1801 to 1818.
From 1803 on, he went also to school here. After years of education at
the Stadtkonvikt he returned to the Säulengasse in 1813. The Wiener
Männergesangs-Verein donated a commemorative tablet in 1913.
Wien 11., Simmeringer Hauptstraße 234 (Zentralfriedhof- central
After the closing down of the cemetery of Währing, where Schubert
was buried on November 21st 1828, his mortal remains were transferred to
the Zentralfriedhof (Ehrengrab Gruppe 32A, No. 28). Carl Kundmann and Theophil
Hansen designed the tomb.
Wien 17., Dornbacher Straße 101
A commemorative tablet (donated by the Dornbach-Neuwaldegger Sängerbund
in July 1928) reminds that Schubert lived here with his friend Franz Schober
in the inn „Kaiserin von Österreich" in 1827.
Wien 17., St. Bartholomäus-Platz, on the Kalvarienbergkirche
On November 3rd 1828, Franz Schubert heard music the last time in his
life in this church, a performance of a Latin requiem, composed by his
brother Ferdinand. Commemorative tablet (bronze relief by Carl Philipp),
donated by the Hernalser Männergesangs-Verein.
Wien 18., Kutschkergasse 44
In July 1826 Schubert composed the serenade „Horch! Horch! Die Lerch
im Ätherblau" (D 889) in the former tavern „Zum Biersack". Commemorative
tablet of 1885.
Wien 18., Währinger Straße after No. 123
Franz Schubert was buried near Beethoven's tomb at the cemetery of
Währing (today's Schubertpark). On September 23rd 1888, Beethoven
and Schubert were transferred to the new Zentralfriedhof. The tombstone
is preserved (bronze bust by Franz Dialer, epigraph by Grillparzer) and
is at the original place at the park.
Wien 19., Himmelstraße 25
A commemorative tablet reminds that Franz Schubert „was often and gladly
in Grinzing" (donated by the 1st Grinzinger Männergesangs-Verein).